The best solution for controlling the German cockroach is to practice good sanitation. To prevent German cockroaches from infesting your space, vacuum often, keep a spotless kitchen, seal all entrances around utility pipes and ventilate crawl spaces to prevent moisture buildup.
The measures that can be taken to reduce the possibility that these cockroaches may infest households revolve around the maintenance of proper sanitation and are similar to those regarding most other types of cockroach species:
- covering any cracks and crevices that the cockroaches may use, placing mesh screens over windows and vents, installing screens in drains;
- increasing ventilation and sunlight in order to decrease damp areas and removing piles of wood, leaves, and other debris so as to avoid creating a suitable environment outdoors;
- stopping leaks and ensuring to take overflow or excess water away from buildings;
- vacuuming rather than using a broom; thus you will avoid spreading the eggs in your household;
- use disposable vacuum bags rather than washable ones, and throw them away immediately after vacuuming;
- ensuring that your bin bags are sealed and that your trash can has a tightly fitted lid, as well as moving the trash can away from any damp areas;
- remove indoor trash and keep cans emptied and clean;
- checking food packages and laundry before they enter your home so as to avoid bringing eggs, nymphs, or adult cockroaches inside;
- food and leftovers must be covered at all times, as they can attract the roaches in your residence;
- consume food only in one room; by not taking food around the house you will avoid tiny spills and crumbs
- wash your dishes constantly and take out the trash no more than each 48h;
- all kitchen appliances (microwaves, toasters, ovens, refrigerators and stoves) should be maintained in a clean condition so that it is food free and grease free;
- place wall and floor tiles in your bathroom and kitchen as it helps preventing the movement of the roaches underneath your floor and through wall cracks.
Because roaches thrive on food such as trash, dirty dishes, and leftover grease, as well as residues from toothbrushes and dish sponges, good basic sanitation can not only prevent a roach infestation, but also significantly improve the effectiveness of treatment.
You should also take measures to avoid further invasions into your house. Clean the outside areas near your house to the extent possible and make sure that all the windows and doors fit tightly within their frames and have no cracks.
Make constant checks throughout your household in order to prevent the appearance not only of the German cockroach, but that of other types of pests as well.